The latest big disruptor in our digital world is going to be (and already is) the staggeringly rapid increase in the use of mobile devices. For everyone involved in marketing, this is something that we have to educate our clients and ourselves about. Because more than anything else right now, this shift affects every business’s most valuable digital asset…their website.
How fast is this happening and how pervasive is it? There are a lot of eye-opening statistics that I want to share. Here are some of them:
There are 4 times as many smartphone owners as computer owners in the U.S. today.
- Apple sold 48 million mobile devices in 2011; they sold 4.9 million desktops and laptops during the same period.
- 48% of U.S. mobile subscribers use a smartphone.
- Smartphone usage grew by 50% from 2011 to 2012.
- 91% percent of Americans have their mobile device within reach 24/7
- In 2013, mobile phones will surpass PCs as the primary means of accessing the Internet..
- 1 in 7 Internet searches are performed on a mobile phone.
- 16.9% of Black Friday 2012 online shopping was done on a mobile device.
- 94% of smartphone users look for local information on their phone and 90% take action a result, such as making a purchase or contacting the business.
- Only 20% of businesses have invested in a mobile website.
Now do this: get your phone; open your browser; go to your website.
To find out about how Be Visible Mobile can help you get your website mobilized quickly and affordably, click here
Note: In the original version of this blog, we stated the 24% of Black Friday 2012 online shopping was done on a mobile device. This number was overstated at 24%; the real number is 16.9%. But 24% of US consumers opted to visit a retailer’s website using their mobile device on Black Friday 2012. see: http://venturebeat.com/2012/11/24/ibm-black-friday-data/
If you are viewing this website on your smartphone, you will see that it is not yet optimized for mobile. We are launching our mobile site this week!